Third-Party Certifications: Why Are They So Important?
Decouplers are critical for protecting expensive assets, and for the safety of personnel and the public. If they fail, pipelines, tanks and other CP-protected structures can be left exposed to AC interference and over-voltage hazards, which can endanger people and permanently damage equipment. So, when purchasing decoupler products you need to be certain that you can count on them to perform as specified. Dairyland has always been known for the reliability of our products. Having provided decouplers and over-voltage protection equipment for 40 years with virtually no failures allows us to claim that our products are truly rugged and reliable. But don’t take just our word for it – rely on our third-party certifications to independently confirm that our products do what we say they do.
Dairyland maintains an extensive list of internationally accepted third-party product certifications where electrical or other safety codes apply. Maintaining certifications is expensive and time-consuming. Others avoid it, but we insist on it because it’s important. Each of our PCR, SSD, PCRH, OVP and OVP2 models have the following certifications:
- Underwriter’s Laboratories (UL) in the U.S. and Canada:
- Assures the validity of all product ratings including: AC Fault Current, Lightning Current, Steady-State AC Current, DC Blocking Threshold and Environmental Exposure
- Fail-Safe Performance – Tested to National Electric Code Requirements for an “effective ground path”. See this related article for more information on Verified AC Fault Current Ratings and Fail-Safe Performance.
- Approvals for hazardous location use
- Numerous other certifications that provide similar assurances of performance and safety from certification bodies around the world, including CE, ATEX, IECEX, EAC and CNEx.
In addition, our quality certifications, ISO 9001:2015 and ISO/IEC 80079-34, require periodic company-wide quality audits, ensuring that nearly all processes throughout our company, from design to manufacturing to customer service, meet strict quality requirements. These quality certifications, together with our long list of product certifications, provide our customers with confidence that Dairyland products will reliably meet the requirements of their most challenging applications without having to spend time and money to perform additional validation testing.
By using products without appropriate third-party certifications, customers run a high risk that the products will not perform to their stated specifications or fail, leading to high replacement costs, safety issues and the need for frequent in-field inspection and testing.
Decoupler users throughout the industry should look for products certified by independent third parties to meet all critical performance requirements, fail-safe operation and application in hazardous locations to ensure product performance, long life and safety.